116 N. Hunter St.
Stockton, Ca 95202
Founded in 1855, Turn Verein Hall –a German Social Club –was the first ethnic cultural society founded in San Joaquin County. These social organizations were a common feature in German-American communities. Turn Verein stands for Gymnastics Athletics Union Club. The club eventually evolved into a music-oriented social club and although later maps referred to the building as Turner Hall, it was always noted as Turn Verein Hall. The club relocated to a new location on Fremont Street in 1923 and some directories list the building as Turner Hall Saloon, Stockton Athletic Club, Church of God Rescue Mission. Then, in 1950, the building housed a billiard academy. This building has undergone many alterations through the years and is currently going through another alteration.