11 S. San Joaquin St.
Stockton, Ca 95202
The California building, built in 1917, was originally the Farmer’s &Merchants Bank. The Italian renaissance revival building was designed by San Francisco architect George W. Kelham, who also designed parts of the UC Berkeley campus and the old San Francisco Public Library. The central lobby features Tennessee marble floors with walls and pillars covered with Travertine marble from an area near Rome. The coffered ceilings are 25 feet high and are ornamented with painted plaster. The first floor and mezzanine were occupied by David A. Levinson’s Women’s Apparel shop from 1941 to 1981. Although there have been many tenants on the first floor there’s no doubt that Levinson’s women’s shop was the most popular establishment to ever grace the building.