42 N. Sutter St.
Stockton, Ca 95202
Though this beautiful courthouse no longer exists, the Belgian floor tiles are still around. They can be found at the San Joaquin County Historical Society at Micke Grove and also at the Haggin Museum in the basement floor right in front of their gift shop. Built in 1908, the five-story Elks Building was originally housing the Benevolent Protective Order of the Elks on its top floor. They met there until 1976. The building featured a huge stained-glass dome skylight which was originally intended for the San Francisco Elks Hall. Unfortunately, that Elks Hall was destroyed by the Great 1906 earthquake and fire, so the dome was later removed and sold. The building itself suffered a fire in 1980; fortunately, it survived. The building lobby contains the original mosaic floor with elks motif.