229. E. Weber Ave.
Stockton, Ca 95202
The Tretheway building was built in 1892 by John Tretheway, a native of Cornwall County, England. The building was originally the Argonaut Hotel with a hardware store on the ground level. Built in the Victorian Romanesque revival style, the building originally had a much taller false front parapet which fell to the ground as a result of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. When it was repaired, the false front was given a much lower profile. The façade is embellished with sandstone arches, cast zinc floral patterns, and the bay windows and wooden slats over the windows are typical of Victorian architecture. The Tretheway is currently undergoing a remodel and the second and third floors are being repurposed for Downtown housing.