What is Stockton Fiber?
By Nissi Guiao
In our culture today, the need for quality internet is as great as our need for good coffee—it’s almost impossible to live without. We need it in order to function in our day-to-day. From students of all ages needing to do research, to people in the workplace heavily relying on speedy internet access to get the job done, from families who want to spend quality time together watching a movie on Netflix or Hulu, to the creatives who rely on the internet for their local businesses—almost everyone leans on the internet as a prime tool to get through life.
As big of a need as it is, however, “today, too many Stocktonians are left without the connectivity they need. Some have no high-speed internet service to their homes; for others, the cost is prohibitive; and a portion of Stockton has no internet access at all.” But with Stockton Fiber, the future of internet usage and productivity as a direct result can dramatically shift for the bettering of our community. Imagine every home, every business thriving because of a simple upgrade that “will provide lightning-fast, responsive, stable, and affordable fiber internet connections.”
Downtown Stockton is well on the way to fully come alive; there are so many developments waiting to be filled. There is an incredible amount of potential, and once you hear about all the details, it may sound a bit too good to be true, but it’s not. We asked Fiber Chief of Staff, Garrett Brinker, some more in depth questions—below you’ll get the latest scoop on the progress of this project and how we can all come together to help this all take flight sooner than later.
1. In the simplest terms, can you please tell our readers about Stockton Fiber?
“Stockton Fiber is a new fiber-optic broadband network designed especially for Stockton residents and businesses—at no cost to the City and without using taxpayer dollars. It will bring fast connections to seamlessly stream content, stable connections for smoother video calls, and greatly improved capacity for multiple devices in the same location.
As an open access network, we’ll be creating a marketplace where multiple services and service providers will operate on the shared infrastructure. As a result, Stocktonians will finally be able to choose the services you want, according to your needs and budget. It also means competition, and that should result in better service and lower prices.”
2. How it could impact the Stockton community?
“Stockton Fiber could have a transformative impact on the Stockton community. It could unlock new economic opportunities for many Stocktonians—creating new job opportunities, helping businesses adapt to and thrive in an increasingly interconnected world, and giving all Stocktonians access to knowledge and the ability to learn in ways they never have been able to before.
Outside homes and businesses, Stockton Fiber could power community events like outdoor movie nights and group study sessions; ‘smart’ infrastructure to build more resilient communities—from smart energy systems that maximize efficiency to water system sensors that enable remote, real-time monitoring to minimize waste; access to new sources of energy, including wind farms and home solar panels; all next-generation wireless services like 5G; and ‘smart city’ innovations from driverless cars to public safety systems.”
3. What steps do we need to take to make it happen?
“We need your support to make this network a reality. If you want fiber internet for Stockton, the first step is to go to www.stocktonfiber.com and express interest in the network. It’s as simple as that.
Once you’ve done that, you can also express interest in becoming a Network Founder. As a Founder, you’ll help us lead the grassroots campaign to educate, energize, and drive engagement with businesses and residents. Throughout that process, we’ll help empower you with the educational materials and other tools you might need to make it happen.
Once you’re signed-on, make sure everyone else you know has done the same. Tell your friends, colleagues, and neighbors. Share over social media. Send out an email. Anything you can do to spread the word brings this project closer to the finish line.”
4. What is the timeline?
“The timeline depends on how quickly we can measure and map the demand from Stocktonians. We would like to begin construction next year—to get there we need as many people as possible to go to www.stocktonfiber.com and add their names in support.”
5. It all seems too good to be true…who can we thank? Who’s responsible (even in general) for paving the way for better internet access for Stockton’s diverse community?
“Stockton Fiber is a project of Neighborly—a venture-backed company based in Boston and San Francisco that designs, finances, builds, and maintains open access fiber broadband networks with communities.
In May 2019, Mayor Tubbs announced Stockton Fiber in his State of the City address as one of a number of key forthcoming priorities.”
Good change can happen step-by-step, but seeing this project birthed is going to take the support of our community. If you’re even the slightest bit interested, please head straight over to this link to add your name to the list: https://stocktonfiber.com/create-account. There’s a bright future ahead and this project has so much potential to bring more of that life we’re anticipating for downtown. We can’t wait!
Facts directly from Stockton Fiber:
The Path to Better Internet
- Help us map demand: Express interest at stocktonfiber.com so we can map demand, design the network, and draft the best construction plan.
- Select your services: Join the network and choose the services you want, according to your needs and budget.
- Network construction: Crews build the network and attach the fiber cables to your home.
- You’re connected: Every resident and business owner who joins the network receives a fiber connection.
The Benefits of Fiber
- Fast, reliable internet: At-home workers have fast, reliable connections to collaborate and share large files; students can carry out research and complete homework; and everyone can use multiple devices, seamlessly video chat, stream entertainment, and more.
- TV: Stream live TV and all your favorite shows from Netflix, Hulu, and other services without painful buffering or any content restrictions.
- Smart home applications: Security cameras, temperate controls, and other “smart” and energy-saving devices can be connected to your home network.
- Telehealth: Talk to your doctor from the comfort of your home, work with medical personnel to monitor your health remotely in real-time, and benefit from the chance to age in place.
Again… For more detailed information and to stay in the loop, please visit their website: https://stocktonfiber.com/.